What a difference a day makes.






Todd Stroger gets fined, will the fines go to help the Cook County Budget? At least the Sheriff is using his confiscated money to reinstate sheriff's. Will Cook County try to do business new establishments? Seaway bank is yet in another Cook County controversy, this time involving missing funds in the Sheriff's department. Cook County continues to do business with Sutton Ford even if it means buying new Toyota's. We will have to wait to the next meeting to find out why the County is buying other than Ford's at the Ford dealer. No one seem to know, they will have to look into it.
I found a humorous, but unfortunately, an article with a lot of truths, from the editorial part of the Chicago Tribune.
One day in Chicago it's a cold April, the next day it is raining sleet and slush and killing all our Spring flowers.
I can't wait to see if Sandi Jackson does something, finally with all the acreage of land once used by the Steel Mills. Those pictures of a sad, desolate pathetic area were posted yesterday. One bright spot in that area is the Chicago Park District's Calumet Park, pictures posted a couple of days. I will be out there a lot more when the weather, finally gets better, and report back. For any who want to brave the far south side, all the way east, Calumet Park has a nice beach, a boat launching area, and a lot of divers go out there because there are ship wreaks to explore. I hope the weather gets better soon so I could spend some time out there!



Stroger gets campaign fine

April 11, 2007
By Steve Patterson Special to the Daily Southtown
State officials want to slap more than $250,000 in fines on Cook County Board President Todd Stroger’s campaign committee for failing to properly report contributions.
Election officials say it is one of the biggest penalties they have leveled and it comes after months of complaints about problems with other Stroger-related campaign accounts. Was he using Seaway bank here too?
But Stroger attorney Burt Odelson says it’s all due to “clerical errors.”
“We’ve had auditors go through all the reports and they’ve straightened everything out,” he said.
Campaign finance fines are regularly negotiated down and first-time violators such as Stroger never face more than 10 percent of the fine initially recommended. The State Board of Elections found 78 contributions to Stroger before the November election that his campaign still has not reported.
“With that many, you’re not looking at a mistake; it’s willful disregard for the law,” said Cindi Canary of the Illinois Campaign for Political Reform.
Stroger has failed to report $255,816 in donations, the exact amount he’s being fined, records show.
Chicago Sun-Times

EDITORIAL
Todd Stroger's message
Published April 10, 2007

Todd Stroger's recent hiring of a $100,000-a-year assistant, Andre Garner, to shape Stroger's public message is a waste of Garner's time and taxpayers' dollars. We've been observing the new Cook County Board president for more than four months, which we think qualifies us to convey Stroger's message to the hapless citizens he purports to serve.
Mr. Stroger, we hope you like the message we've drafted for you. No, we won't accept any compensation. Knowing we've helped you speak the truth to the people is payment enough:
Family members, friends, anybody I haven't yet put on the Cook County payroll,
Maybe you hear the whispers around the County Building that I don't work very hard and don't care very much. That the Chicago ward bosses and even the big-time Democrats are embarrassed -- worried -- about my inability to act like I'm interested in this $3
billion government. That increasingly they dismiss me as a one-term puppet who'll protect their pals' cushy jobs and lucrative contracts without even pretending I'm engaged.
Not so. As you see, I'm engaged. Right now I'm engaged in getting as many of my people as I can into high-paying county jobs. I'm asking the County Board to make four interim appointments permanent: I want my cousin Donna Dunnings as the county's chief financial officer, I want my Chicago Park District crony Joseph Fratto as county comptroller, I want my dad's hiring wizard Mark Kilgallon as chief administrative officer (now that the FBI agents have stopped raiding his office). Oh, yes, and I want my friend Marlow Colvin's wife, Carmen Triche-Colvin, as purchasing agent.
I know that my talent searches -- searches that don't reach beyond my little world -- infuriate some County Board members. They must think I care that angry voters keep asking them, "What are you going to do about Todd Stroger?" And those Illinois congressional Democrats who privately scolded me a few weeks back about the slipshod government I run? You can see how much I listened to those pinheads.
Truth is, I'm just here to baby-sit the patronage and contracting empire that the mayor and all the other Democratic big shots here need protected. There are enough Republicans and reform Democrats on my board to give me grief, but they're so busy bickering that I can do whatever I want. That panel of experts I said I'd convene just as soon as we finished the 2007 budget to streamline county government for 2008? Well, do you see any blue-ribbon panels?
Why should I bother? All the Democrats -- Barack Obama, Dick Durbin, Rich Daley, Rod Blagojevich, Lisa Madigan, Jesse Jackson Jr., Rahm Emanuel, Bobbie Steele, Dick Devine -- they all endorsed me last year. They put up their reputations to craft a "reformer" image for me.
And they'll all endorse me again.
When my dad sat in this chair, not everybody agreed with him. But they knew he cared deeply about serving the people of Cook County.
Maybe I'll grow into my father's shoes. Or maybe I won't.
It doesn't matter.
Because the Democratic pols and ward bosses who put me here will take care of me.
Just like I'm taking care of them.

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

2 Comments:

  1. SP Biloxi said...
    So Urkelster is fined? That is good and bad: good that he is slapped with a fine and bad because is doesn't help the problems in Chicago and the city budget.

    "We will have to wait to the next meeting to find out why the County is buying other than Ford's at the Ford dealer."

    It's all about money, Chicago Native. It is to boost the company Ford. Toyota passed Ford as the #1 car maker. Ford sales and profits are sinking. I bet the county struck a deal with the CEO, Bill Ford.
    Third Generation Chicago Native said...
    And why Sutton Ford all the time, or Seaway bank?
    And Toddster is waging all out war with the Sheriff. He and his chief Handler, Lance Tyson, grinned and giggled throughout the whole entire board meeting, and his new PR person? ongoing Campaign manager? non-spokesperson, image enhancement person, Andre Garner sat there stone faced throughout.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

 

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.